Food which is healthy versus unhealthy is not an entirely black and white issue. Like everything else in the world, there is a spectrum a food can fall along. When determining what a healthy food is, I ask the following questions:
1) Does it resemble (or is made from things which resemble) something I would find on a ranch or garden?
2) Does it contain artificial flavors, colors, or sweeteners?
3) Does it contain high amounts of refined products (flours and sugars)?
4) How many ingredients does it have? (Case in point – “healthier” cookies, dressings, etc.)
5) And can I pronounce them? (Butylated hydroxytoluene, anyone?)
6) Would bugs and molds thrive on it? Think about it — if it won’t sustain their lives, what makes you think it will sustain yours?