Black Bean Quinoa Salad with Basil Lemon Dressing
- 1.5 cups uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups organic vegetable broth
- 14 oz. package firm tofu
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. grated lemon rind (use an organic lemon)
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 oz.) package of frozen edamame, shelled and thawed
- 4 cups chopped tomato (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
Rinse quinoa to remove saponin, a bitter coating. Place quinoa and broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until broth is absorbed. Remove from heat.
Drain tofu and pat dry. Cut into cubes. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place cubed tofu in skillet and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Saute’ tofu until browned, about 9 minutes. remove from heat and cool.
Combine remaining oil, remaining salt, and the next six ingredients (through garlic) in a large bowl and whisk until blended. Stir in quinoa.
Add thawed edamame, tofu, onion, tomato, carrot, and black beans to the quinoa mixture, stirring gently to combine. Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Yields ten 1 cup servings.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light, March 2006
Need quick and easy ways to get healthy meals on the table? Get my guide, "5 Ways to 5 a Day in 15 Minutes or Less" to boost your health without resorting to boring salads or smoothies!