Carne Asada Taco Salad
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped and deseeded
- Salsa of choice (I love fresh Pico de gallo)
- 1 avocado, sliced or cubed
- 1 sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups pinto beans
- 2 limes, halved
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- Sour cream, guacamole to taste
- 1/2 cup olive or grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (or Bragg’s)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 orange, juiced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ small onion, diced
Place the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together until well combined.
Place the flank steak in a resealable plastic bag and pour the marinade over the steak. Seal the bag and lightly squish the steak around to make sure the marinade covers all of the meat.
Put the bag in the fridge and allow to marinate overnight or for a minimum of 6 hours.
Prep the vegetables as directed above.
When you are ready to cook the meat, remove the steak from the bag and discard the excess marinade. Grill the steaks on medium-high heat for about 7-10 minutes each side, depending on the thickness. Allow the steaks to rest for about 5 minutes before slicing. Make sure to slice against the grain.
Arrange shredded romaine lettuce on 4 plates. Spoon pinto beans over the lettuce. Top with carne asada and sliced veggies. Add salsa to taste, as well as flavor boosters from lime, cilantro, sour cream and guacamole, if desired. Eat up! Serves 4
Herbilicious Fruity Water
- 2 cups of fresh or frozen fruit
- 1-2 sprigs
- 2 qts of water
Squeeze the fresh herbs or rub the leaves to release the natural aromatic oils. Place into a glass pitcher. Add fruit and muddle the fruit and herbs using a wooden spoon or muddler. Pour water over the herbal fruit mix and add ice. Keeps for 2-3 days.
My favorite combinations:
- Frozen Raspberries and fresh lime
- Lime and mint (rum is optional!)
- Blackberries and fresh sage
- Watermelon and Lime
- Rosemary, Mint and English Cucumber
Adventure-inducing Protein Smoothie
This smoothie gears you up to have an awesome day! Packed with protein, low glycemic fruit and fiber, it supplies the body with ample energy and stamina to get a couple of good summer adventures in before lunch!
- 25-30 grams of dairy-free, soy-free protein powder (I’m a fan of VegaSport or Jay Robb’s Egg White Protein)
- 16 oz. unsweetened So Delicious vanilla coconut milk
- 1 – 1.5 cup berries – strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
Optional: 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder for extra chocolatey goodness (Great for cravings – pairs well with strawberries and raspberries) or 2 tsp. lemon juice (pairs very well with vanilla protein and blueberries or raspberries)
Summer Watermelon Salad
This salad is AWESOME. The basil and watermelon are refreshing and energizing, and the feta adds heartiness and depth that allows this to be quite satisfying. It keeps well for about 2 days. It is also fantastic without the feta!
* 3.5 pounds seedless watermelon (rind removed), cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
* The juice and zest of one lime
* 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips (see note)
* Coarse salt and ground pepper, if desired
* 4 ounces imported Sheep milk feta cheese, broken into large pieces (about 1 cup)
1. In a large bowl, combine watermelon, lime juice, lime zest, basil; season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Refrigerate until chilled. Serves 4.
Click on the link below to print out these recipes (and a few more I included!) and take them with you!
Download VIBRANCE Summer Recipes Here!
Need quick and easy ways to get healthy meals on the table? Get my guide, "5 Ways to 5 a Day in 15 Minutes or Less" to boost your health without resorting to boring salads or smoothies!