This recipe has been adapted from one published by the New York Times. It’s a great way to branch out and try Delicata – a squash in season that is frequently overlooked due to pumpkin madness and our familiarity with other squashes such as acorn and spaghetti squash. I had a turtle that loved Delicata Squash, so I always think of this winter vegetable fondly. I find the incorporation of the squash into a full meal to be perfect for the colder, darker days we face. Using chicken thighs instead of breasts adds a bit more richness to the dish and also increases satiation when winter cravings show themselves. Serve with sautéed winter greens drizzled with balsamic vinegar and studded with dried cranberries.
Try this recipe tonight and tell me what you think!
- TOTAL TIME
- Serves 4
- 1/2 lemon, ends trimmed, halved lengthwise, seeds removed, and thinly sliced crosswise into half-moon wedges
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 1 and 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped sage or 1 tsp. dried sage
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons coriander seed
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tbsp. grade B maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes (coconut oil for dairy free)
- Large pinch chile powder (optional. Can be omitted; sub rosemary for different yet equally lovely flavors)
- 1 delicata squash (1 and 1/4 pounds), sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rings, then seeds removed.
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions, white and light-green parts
- 1.Lightly salt lemon slices.
- 2.In a large bowl, toss chicken with lemon slices, 1/2 tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Rub sage and coriander between your fingers or palms and mix well into chicken marinade. Let stand 30 minutes.
- 3.Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- 4.In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine syrup, butter/coconut oil, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and chile powder. Simmer on low for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and toss with squash.
- 5. Spread squash in a 9-by-13-inch pan or on a large rimmed baking sheet. Nestle chicken and lemon on top of squash. Roast for 15 minutes. In a small bowl, toss scallions and remaining oil. Scatter over chicken and squash; keep roasting until chicken is no longer pink, about 20 minutes more.
- If you have had delicata squash before – what is YOUR favorite way to eat it? Comment below and share your ideas and tips with us!
Need quick and easy ways to get healthy meals on the table? Get my guide, "5 Ways to 5 a Day in 15 Minutes or Less" to boost your health without resorting to boring salads or smoothies!