- 6 pounds of grass-fed short ribs
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium pear; cored, and chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 scallions, roughly chopped
- 1 hunk of ginger, about the size of your thumb, cut into two pieces
- 2 teaspoons of fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 cup organic chicken broth
- Small handful of roughly chopped fresh cilantro
To make sauce:
Toss the pear, coconut aminos, garlic, scallions, ginger, fish sauce, and vinegar in a blender. Puree until smooth. Pour the sauce evenly over the ribs then add the chicken broth. Cover with the lid, set the slow cooker on low, and let the ribs stew for 9-11 hours.
When ready to serve, remove the meat and set aside. Let the remaining sauce sit for five minutes, then skim fat, if desired. Ladle some of the sauce (about a cup) over the ribs and serve with diced fresh cilantro. Serve the remaining sauce on the side or save it as a marinade for chicken, pork or beef.
Need quick and easy ways to get healthy meals on the table? Get my guide, "5 Ways to 5 a Day in 15 Minutes or Less" to boost your health without resorting to boring salads or smoothies!