This is one of those recipes that emerged from beginning one thing and discovering it could not be done. I set out to make wine stewed apples, only to discover that the leftover wine had been poured down the sink. I wasn’t about to open a fresh bottle, since we have been struggling to get through a bottle of wine without it going bad for months now. So instead, I took all the apples I had already had and crafted an apple crisp from a conglomeration of recipes found online and my own flavor preferences. Here’s the result; tell me what you think!
- 5 medium sized apples, chopped into chunks (peel first, if desired)
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or butter, melted
- 3/4 cup gluten free rolled oats (NOT instant)
- 1/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/4 cup sucanat or date sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Place apples in the bottom of the instant pot.
Add spices and maple syrup and stir to mix. Drizzle water over apples.
- In a small bowl, add oats, flour, sweetener, ginger, walnuts, salt and melted fat. Mix well, then spoon on top of apples.
- Set Instant Pot on manual for 5 minutes. Let pressure release naturally and sit for about five more minutes, so sauce can thicken.
- Serve warm, with ice cream if desired.
Need quick and easy ways to get healthy meals on the table? Get my guide, "5 Ways to 5 a Day in 15 Minutes or Less" to boost your health without resorting to boring salads or smoothies!