“Here is one my favorite, easy to prepare, grab-and-go snacks that my entire family enjoys. My six year old Carmen, the best sous chef I could ever ask for, sits on the counter and helps put the ingredients into the food processor and then helps roll these out into balls. These Raw Energy Balls created by Alissa Segersten and Tom Malterre make for a great snack that can go with you to work, on a hike, bike ride, or in your child’s lunchbox.” – Kelly
- 1 cup raw almonds or walnuts
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ cup raw almond butter
- Shredded coconut
1. In a food processor fitted with the “s” blade grind the almonds until finely ground. Add the dates, raisins, and spices. Grind to a fine meal.
2. Add the almond butter, process again until thoroughly mixed.
3. Form into balls and roll in shredded coconut.
4. Store in a sealed container on the counter for up to 3 days, or refrigerate for up to a week.
Recipe from: Alissa Segersten & Tom Malterre. The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook, 2nd ed. Whole Life Press. 2007
Need quick and easy ways to get healthy meals on the table? Get my guide, "5 Ways to 5 a Day in 15 Minutes or Less" to boost your health without resorting to boring salads or smoothies!