Sinful Chanterelle Chowder with Bacon
- 8 strips bacon, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bulb fennel, diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Herbes de Provence
- 12 ounces roughly chopped chanterelles
- 1 cup white wine
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 cups cubed yellow potatoes (3 medium)
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp. each salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Cook the bacon in a large dutch oven or saucepan over medium heat until the fat renders and it just starts to crisp, 5-7 minutes. Add the onion, fennel and garlic with a pinch of salt then sauté for an additional 7 minutes until the onions are translucent.
Turn the heat to medium-high then add the herbes de Provence and chanterelles and sauté until caramelized in parts, 3-5 minutes. Add wine, scraping up any browned bits off the bottom.
Add the stock and potatoes, bring to a simmer then cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
Add the coconut milk, stir in dill, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and pepper. Finish with lemon juice then taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
Need quick and easy ways to get healthy meals on the table? Get my guide, "5 Ways to 5 a Day in 15 Minutes or Less" to boost your health without resorting to boring salads or smoothies!