This recipe comes from Jon, the partner of a VIBRANCE client who is a whiz in the kitchen and enjoys preparing meals for the family. His tomato-free salsa is an absolute blessing to those who have negative reactions to tomatoes. If all nightshades are off the table for you, omit the green peppers and the jalapeño and use avocados instead for a creamier pico-de-gallo style salsa.
makes 4 cups.
- 1 ½ c Red Bell Peppers, diced small (about 2 med sized)
- ¾ c -minced Green Onion (white & green parts).
- ¾ c -minced Cilantro(leaves & stems).
- ½ c grated carrots (use younger fingerlings if you can find them).
- ½ cup grated Orange Beet (w/ skin).
- ⅓ c -fresh squeezed Lime juice (2-3 med size).
- 1 Tbs -minced Jalapeño (include seeds for spiciness).
MIX all together in a bowl.
Adjust ingredients to taste. Transfer to metal or glass container. Stores up to a week or so. SERVE as is. Can be mixed in with eggs, consumed with chips, and added to soups for a latin flare!
For a more salsa-y texture & look, or to freshen up the taste, turn out a portion from storage onto cutting board, or food processor, and mince all together then eat it up!
Options to Make It Your Own:
- Use Red Beet (great, but, turns the nalsa pink after a short time!)
- Wasabi can be added for a spicy kick if you can’t eat jalapeños
- Add Salt
- Cumin powder
- Chipotle powder
- Chili powder
- Fresh garlic
- Avocado chunks