This looks oh-so naughty but is quite fat-loss friendly! The listed serving is 4 oz. of steak and 1/4 of the fries, but few people I know will be satisfied with such a small potion. In mi casa I double the meat and add a salad to balance the meal. Consider this to serve 2-4 people.
- 1 pound baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4″ strips
- 1 tsp. EVOO
- 1 tsp. chopped rosemary
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt, divided
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard (have extra on hand for serving)
- 2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 pound lean flank steak
- 2 tsp. finely diced parsley, as garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
- Toss potatoes in oil and add rosemary and 1/2 tsp. sea salt. Layer on a baking dish so they do not touch (this is essential to crispy oven-baked frites!). Bake 20-22 minutes or until golden, tossing halfway through baking process. Remove from oven, gently loosen with a spatula and keep warm.
- While potatoes are baking, whisk vinegar, mustard, pepper, thyme and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt in a large dish. Add steak and marinate for 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Place oven rack at highest position and switch oven to broil. Oil a broiler pan. Broil steak for 6-7 minutes per side or until desired degree of doneness is achieved. Remove and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into 2-4 portions, depending on appetite.
- Place steak and 1/4 of the frites on each plate. Garnish with parsley and serve with extra mustard, if desired.
(From Health Magazine, Jan/Feb 2009)